By Haleigh Ehmsen
You can shop Rachelyn Jewelry on Etsy.
Sculpting Workshop with Rhonda Whitledge
We're extremely excited to be partnering with Rhonda for this unique workshop. If you love creatures like the kind you'll find in pictures from Jim Henson, George Lucas, Tim Burton, etc., this class if for you. The best part is, you won't need any experience. Just bring your imagination, a stand if you want it, and any fabric you'd like to use as doll clothes. We hope to see you there!
See more of Rhonda's work here:
To register, follow this link here:
Premiering classes, old favorites, and more
We've been up to a lot of cool stuff here at MAKE, not the least of which being some new classes added to the fall schedule. A couple of these courses are premiering this week! Check them out in this slideshow, and click the images to follow the sign up link.
Check it out today and plan ahead
If you have been around the makerspace this year for classes you maybe picked up one of our class catalogues. We publish one each quarter so you can see what classes and workshops are coming up and plan accordingly.
This time, we decided to add a little more information in the catalogue for you too. You can find info on our upcoming featured artists, plan to attend a pop up makers' market, get info on our premier music and art festival we're hosting in September, and on how to plan a DIY party with us.
We're excited, moving forward, to add even more valuable information for you in this catalogue. You can pick one up in the shop mid September (Art Beat wiped out our first order of catalogues) or look at it now with this online PDF version.
This catalogue lists all our scheduled classes and workshops from the beginning of September through the end of November. Sometimes classes are added last minute, and we always add those to our Facebook events and notify our email subscribers. You can join our email list here to make sure you stay up to date and even get an occasional subscribers' only perk.
We want to make it easier for you to tackle some of our cool projects, so we started with a DIY kit. One of our most popular classes is the soldered glass terrarium class. However, it's only offered about once or twice a quarter. So I thought, why not make it to go? It's the exact same result with only a few changes that make it easier for you to do at home.
In the class, you learn to cut the glass, clean, tape, and solder it, and you can sign up for that class here. But the kit gives you pre-cut pieces of glass, and a solderless technique to put it together. You may not be learning the stained glass basics like in the class, but you can do this anywhere and still have a great looking addition to your room decor once you're done.
To finish the look of this project, we include some preserved moss, a live air plant (one of my favorite low maintenance plants), and a few stones.
Maybe you are wondering what good a membership would do you and what a makerspace can offer. Here are my top 7 reasons you should try a membership today.
1. You get access to all of our tools and equipment including stations for 3D printing, laser cutting, stained glass and soldering, ceramics, woodworking, jewelry and metal work, textiles and leather, drawing, painting, printing and more. If you can dream it, we can help you make it.
2. You get discounts on classes and workshops from 5%-20% depending on the membership level you choose.
3. You don't have to take over your house with messy projects. Use our space and designated storage and work stations. Or get a private studio and keep all your work safe and secure and out of your living room.
4. You can work with others in a creative and collaborative environment instead of working holed up on your own. Full memberships allow you to add family members at a great discounted rate. The more, the merrier.
5. You save money! When you start working on any project, there's always another tool to buy or a piece of equipment that you wish you could afford. Being a member of our makerspace gives you access to our tools and equipment that cost thousands of dollars so you don't have to waste money investing in tools you'll only use a few times.
6. You get a little storage space to call your own so you don't have to lug your personal materials back and forth during a project.
7. And lastly, when you get a membership at MAKE SOUTH BEND, you help support our mission and vision of celebrating makers in the community, creating new ones, and supporting small business. Maybe you'll start a new business from here.
Learn more about memberships and apply online at www.makesouthbend.com/membership or click the image below.